Region 7 Committee Meeting Minutes
August 19, 2017 7:30am
Present: Jen Bortz (RACC), Myra Elfenbein (RTCC), Linda Johnson (RJOCC) , Jane Caruso (RXCC), Bonnie Synol (RJD), Cleo Washington (DE), Steve Garman (VA), Adam Bowman (WV), Donna Guenther (PA), Jay Barrows (MD), Brant Lutska (NJ)
Guests: Annie Heffernon, Tom Koll:
· Reminder that State meetings are tonight. Safe Sport overview will be first on the agenda
· Region 7 will combine efforts and support a National Congress in 2018 in Rhode Island, no separate Region 7 Congress in 2018.
· Region 7 will host an event at National Congress. Exact details TBD.
· Hall of Fame luncheon will be associated with P&G Championships next year. Tom thanked Region 7 for its’ support of the Hall of Fame luncheon in previous years.
· Operating Code is going through a minor clean up. It will include a statement regarding nominations for Club of the Year.
Linda Johnson, RJOCC: Discussion regarding All Stars Qualification:
Motion: Linda Johnson (RJOCC): Region 7 JO All Around National champions from the current year JO National Championship will be automatically eligible for the Region 7 All Star Team. Remaining slots will be filled in rank order using qualification scores from Regionals and Nationals (1 Regional + 2X National = qualification score), all age groups combined. All eligible All Star Team members must meet all selection criteria in order to maintain their status on the All Star Team.
Second Jay Barrows (MD)
Myra Elfenbein, RTCC and Bonnie Synol, RJD. NAWGJ update:
· There has been a change in the judge’s fee structure; fess will increase by 2.5%.
· Judges will no longer deduct the first 30 miles of a trip if they do not carpool.
· Judges will get paid starting at report time, unless the judge is 5 or more minutes late. If the judge is late she will be paid from the time of march-out.
· Because National and Brevet judges do not have the opportunity to test at their own Regional Congress in 2018, the Region 7 NAWGJ symposium in NJ will offer the test in June 2018.
· Championship rates have increased slightly.
2017 Regional bids:
Motion: Jay Barrows (MD): To award Level 8 Regionals to World Class Gymnastics, VA and to award Level 9/10 Regionals to Sportsplex, MD. Second Brant Lutska (NJ)
· In an effort to help facilitate the securing of a venue, the Committee also discussed having the call for bids for future years happen much earlier than currently. As soon as the 2019 calendar is set by the National office, we will notify the membership regarding a call for bids.
Regional support for all Regional meets:
Motion: Donna Guenther (PA): The Region will guarantee the 2017 Regional meet host will not experience a financial loss. Second Steve Garman(VA)
Motion: Donna Guenther (PA): Region 7 will hire, and a take full financial responsibility of payment for, a Regional Meet Coordinator. Exact job description and compensation package TBD. Second Brant Lutska (NJ).
Additional scholarships for 2017:
Motion: Linda Johnson (RJOCC): Region 7 will award 2 scholarships chosen from the Lynn Perrott Memorial Scholarship entries, these scholarships will be awarded in rank order from the original entries. These scholarships are for 2017 only and will each be for $1,000.00 each. Second Myra Elfenbein (RTCC).
Spirit of Seven:
Motion: Linda Johnson, RJOCC: Region 7 will award the Spirit of Seven award to Blue Ridge Gymnastics in Virginia for the 2017 season.
Second: Jay Barrows, Md
Motion to adjourn: Linda Johnson (RJOCC). Second Donna Guenther (PA).
Passed, Unanimous 9:35am